Household Dangers and
Animal Poison Control Center — 888-4ANI-HELP
Fee is $50 per case; credit cards only; no extra charge for follow-up
calls. 1-900-443-0000 — The charge is billed directly to caller's
phone. Follow-up calls can be made for no additional charge by dialing
888-426-4435. There is no charge when the call involves a product
covered by the Animal Product Safety Service.
substances to avoid for dogs and cats:
Here are a few substances are considered to be non-toxic, although they may cause mild
gastrointestinal upset in some people, they can be
deadly to animals.
(please read for more info)
- Water based paints
- Toilet bowl water
- Silica gel
- Cat litter
- Glue traps
- Glow jewelry
- Christmas tree water
Warm Weather Hazards
- Animal toxins - toads, insects, spiders, snakes
- Blue-green algae in ponds
- Citronella candles
- Cocoa mulch
- Compost piles
- Flea products
- Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
- Swimming pool treatment supplies
When using herbicides or insecticides in or around
- Always use pesticides in
accordance with label instructions.
- Keep pets away from treated areas
for the label recommended amount of time.
- Store unused products in areas
that will always be inaccessible to pets.
- Be aware that fly baits containing
methomyl and slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde
are particularly dangerous.
- Keep all prescriptions and
over-the-counter drugs out of the reach of your pets,
preferably in closed cabinets.
- Remind guests to store their
medications safely as well.
- Pain killers, cold medicines,
anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet
pills are common examples of human medication that could
be potentially lethal even in small dosages.
- One regular-strength ibuprofen
tablet (200mg) can cause stomach ulcers in a 10-pound
- Antifreeze: If you think your pet
has consumed antifreeze, contact your veterinarian right
- Liquid potpourris: Exposure to
some types of liquid potpourris can result in severe
oral, dermal and ocular damage.
- Ice melting products can be
irritating to skin and mouth.
- Rat and mouse bait - place these
products in areas that are inaccessible to your
Alphabetical listing of toxic plants
Asian Lily (Liliaceae)
Bird of Paradise
Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron)
Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant)
Cornstalk Plant (aka Corn Plant)
Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman)
Deadly Nightshade (See Nightshade)
Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern)
Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather)
Fruit Salad Plant
Gold Dust Dracaena
Green Gold Nephthysis
Hahn's self branching English Ivy
Japanese Show Lily
Japanese Yew (aka Yew)
Lily of the Valley
Madagascar Dragon Tree
Mauna Loa Peace Lily (aka Peace Lily)
Orange Day Lily
Peace Lily (aka Maana Loa Peace Lily)
Red-Margined Dracaena (aka Straight-Margined Dracaena)
Ribbon Plant (Dracaena sanderiana)
Saddle Leaf Philodendron
Spotted Dumb Cane
Swiss Cheese Plant
Tropic Snow Dumbcane
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow
Yew (aka Japanese Yew)
- Christmas tree water may
contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can upset the
stomach. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for
bacteria, which can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and
diarrhea, if ingested.
- Electrical cords - Avoid
animal exposure to electrical cords. If they are chewed
they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide
electrical cords and never let your pet chew on them.
- Ribbons or tinsel can
become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal
obstruction. This is a very common situation for
- Batteries contain
corrosives, and if ingested they can cause ulceration to
the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal
- Glass ornaments can cause
internal laceration when ingested.
Over the Rainbow